Dutch Apple Pie
Prep: 30 minutes plus chilling and cooling Bake: 1 hour 15 minutes Serves: 8
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup all-purpose flour plus additional for dusting
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup cold unsalted butter (½ stick), cut into ½-inch pieces
2 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening, cut into ½-inch pieces
3 tablespoons ice water
6 large Fuji, Granny Smith or Honeycrisp apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon apple pie spice
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1. Crumb Topping: In medium bowl, stir all ingredients; cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
2. Pie Dough: In food processor, pulse flour and salt. Add butter and shortening; pulse until small crumbs remain. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing after each addition until mixture holds together when pinched between fingers. Shape dough into disk; wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
3. Apple Filling: Preheat oven to 400°; place 9-inch pie plate on rimmed baking pan. In large bowl, toss apples, sugars, flour, apple pie spice and lemon juice.
4. Unwrap dough; place on lightly floured work surface. Roll dough into 12-inch circle (about ⅛-inch thick); press onto bottom and up sides of pie plate. With scissors, trim edges of dough and flute; add Apple Filling and top with Crumb Topping.
5. Bake pie 15 minutes; reduce oven temperature to 350°. Bake pie 1 hour or until filling is bubbling and top is golden brown; cool 30 minutes. Cut pie into 8 pieces.
Approximate nutritional values per serving (1 piece): 492 Calories, 21g Fat (12g Saturated), 46mg Cholesterol, 156mg Sodium, 74g Carbohydrates, 5g Fiber, 42g Sugars, 4g Protein
Original of the video here