Wake Div student, Ellen Snow, teaches us how to bake Hawaiian Sweet Bread for Holy Communion. Here is the recipe. The second recipe is for gluten free white bread, shared by Wake Div alum, Marisa Fraley.
Attachable Dough Hook
Bowls (3 Minimum)
• 2 ¼ teaspoons of rapid rise yeast
• 1/3 Cup of Potato Flakes
• ¾ Cups of warm water
• 1 Tablespoon sugar
• ¼ Cup butter, unsalted
• 1 Cup sugar
• 3 Eggs
• 1 teaspoon lemon juice (fresh or bottled is fine)
• 2 teaspoons pineapple juice
• ¼ Cup milk
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 4 ½ Cup bread flour (I prefer King Arthur’s Unbleached)
• 1 Egg for egg-wash
In a small bowl, combine yeast, water, 1 Tbs. sugar, and potato flakes. Let it stand for 5 minutes. In mixer, beat butter until softened. Add sugar, mix. Add eggs and combine thoroughly. Add lemon juice, pineapple, and milk. Mix. Add Starter and mix well. Switch to dough hook. Add flour and salt, mixing on 1 and then 2 until well combined. Separate into 2 equal portions. Put in greased bowl. Cover and let rise for 2 hours.
Knead dough, form rounds, place on parchment lined baking sheet. Let proof (uncovered) for 2 hours & 35 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°F. Before baking, mix egg with a splash of water. Wash both loaves. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes then place on cooling rack.
Wonderful Gluten Free White Bread
Original Recipe By: Christy E. Personalized By: Marisa Fraley
Prep Time: 20 min Cook Time: 25 min Total Time: 1 hr 50 min
• 1 tablespoon active dry yeast (1 single packet of active dry yeast)
• 3 tablespoons white sugar
• 1 1/4 cups warm water
• 1 1/3 cups rice flour
• 2/3 cup sorghum flour
• 1/2 cup potato starch
• 1/2 cup cornstarch
• 1/3 cup vegetable oil
• 3 eggs
• 1 tablespoon xanthan gum
• 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1. Turn oven on to “warm.”
2. Grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan. (I use vegetable oil, enough to coat the bottom and sides of the pan)
3. Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water in a bowl. Let stand until the yeast softens and begins to form a creamy foam, about 5 to 10 minutes. (I leave it until I have everything else in the mixing bowl and then pour in before turning mixer on)
4. Combine yeast mixture, rice flour, sorghum flour, potato starch, cornstarch, vegetable oil, eggs, xanthan gum, and salt together in the bowl of a stand mixer; mix on medium speed until incorporated, about 2 minutes. Spoon dough into the prepared loaf pan. (I use a plastic spoon) Smooth the top of dough with the back of a wet spoon. (I use a large metal spoon)
5. Place dough in a warm place until it has risen just over the top of the loaf pan, about 1 hour. (I place in the warm oven for 45 and then sit on top of oven and turn the oven up to 375—You can get away with 30-35 minutes in the warm oven and then taking it out and turning it up to 375)
6. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
7. Bake in the preheated oven until loaf is medium golden brown, about 25 minutes.
8. When remove from oven leave in pan for a couple minutes, then use knife to trace around the outside edges to loosen it. After loose remove from pan and place on wire cooling rack that is raised up off the counter/table. Allow to cool until ready to enjoy. If transporting or enjoying later allow to cool completely before putting in container.
Printed From Allrecipes.com 10/4/2016
Original of the video here