Hi, welcome to Jovie’s Home!
🍏What you’ll need:
1 medium egg
1 lemon (washed)
400 g self-rising flour
250 g white caster sugar
1 pinch of salt
250 g unsalted butter (cold)
8 Goudreinette apples (or another fresh and sour apple)
2 tsp cinnamon
150 g almond paste (300 g packet)
2 tbsp apricot jam
Check out the recipe in Dutch here: https://www.ah.nl/allerhande/recept/R-R853196/appeltaart
Here’s an English translation if you wanna make it too!
1. Separate the egg and grate the yellow zest of the lemon. Put the flour, 200 g sugar and the salt in a bowl. Cut the butter through with 2 knives until a crumbly dough is formed. Add the egg white and lemon zest. Quickly knead into a dough ball with cool hands. Press flat, pack in cling film and put in the fridge for 1 hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 175 ° C. Grease the spring form. Dust the work surface, the rolling pin and the dough ball with flour and roll ⅔ of the dough to a slice of 1 cm thick. This will cover the bottom and then the edges of the mold. First cut out a circle with the springform and place
it on the bottom of the mold. Cover the edges with the remainder of the rolled out dough.
3. Peel the apples, cut into quarters and remove the core. Cut the quarters into pieces and put in a bowl. Mix the cinnamon and the rest of the sugar into the apple. Mix half of the egg yolk into the almond paste and spread over the bottom. Spoon the apples on it.
4. Roll the retained dough into a square piece. Cut into 2 cm wide strips (*or little circles like I did) and place in a diamond pattern on the filling. Brush with the rest of the egg yolk. Bake the cake a little below the center of the oven for about 1 hour until golden brown and done.
5. Brush the top of the cake directly from the oven with the jam. Allow to cool in the form.
My favorite products:
Food waste bin – https://amzn.to/2XARMBq
Food waste bin liners (compostable) – https://amzn.to/2C2O3Ug
NomNom Kids Reusable Pouches: https://amzn.to/2SFJCEg
E-Cloth Kitchen Pack – https://amzn.to/2C0rAa3
Method All Purpose Spray – https://amzn.to/2VEVaJT
Food waste bin: https://amzn.to/2UlHPpz
Food waste bin liners (compostable): https://amzn.to/2UljD6H
E-Cloth Kitchen Pack – https://amzn.to/2GZrOlZ
Method All Purpose Spray – https://amzn.to/2EMR8JH
Disclosure: The links above are affiliate links that may earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use and love.
Thank you, as always, to Daan for his excellent editing help.
► Email me: firstname.lastname@example.org (Business inquiries only, please)
► Email my editor: email@example.com
My name is Jovie and I am an American Expat Mama living in and LOVING The Netherlands. On Tuesdays On Tuesdays I make educational videos about aspects of Dutch life in English. On Thursdays, I post a random video – anything and everything from cleaning and organizing to cooking and talking about mom-related issues.
My goal is to help people who are new to The Netherlands navigate different aspects of the Dutch system. I also enjoy sharing my love of The Netherlands with Dutch viewers and chatting with you in the comments about this great little country.
Won’t you come on over, kick off your shoes and stay a while?
#DutchApplePie #AppelTaart #Lekker
Original of the video here