How to make Traditional Style Rose Cookies | Christmas Special |Authentic Kerala Style Acchaappam
Rose Cookies are those typical rose shaped fried cookies made particularly during Christmas in Kerala Christian homes. In Kerala, they are popularly called as Acchaappams, made with iron made ‘Achu’ (moulds). The mild sweetness of the cookies makes it more enjoyable. They are deep fried, they can be stored in airtight jars for months. To add flavors to it many people use cumin seeds, fennel seeds or sesame seeds. The ingredients are handy but the recipe preparation is a little tricky. Once mastered, making Rose Cookie is an asset every winter for sure! Serve these Kerala Style Fried Rose Cookies (Achappam) as an evening snack along with hot masala chai or hot coffee.
1 cup Raw Rice (washed & soaked for 4 to 5 hours)
1 cup All purpose flour ( maida)
½ coconut grated and extracted thick milk out of it.
6 tbsp sugar
½ tsp cumin seeds (optional)
1 tsp black sesame seeds (black til)
¼ tsp salt (or as per taste)
* When you buy a new rose cookie mould, apply oil in it and leave it for 2 to 3 days prior to making the cookies. The first couple of cookies may not come out properly. Be patient and keep trying.
* Do not add more coconut milk or sugar than mentioned. This ratio is perfect for crisp, light rose cookies that comes off easily from the mould by itself.
* While dipping the mould in the batter, be gentle and never dip completely. Just 3/4 th of the mould should be dipped.
* You need patience, never do it in hurry –while dipping or keeping flame high.
* Regulate the heat but never let the oil become too hot or too low in heat.
* You can cook 3 cookies at a time. But make sure the mould is always left in the hot oil while your cookies are still being fried.
* While draining, let the shallow part downside, so that the oil doesn’t remain inside the cookies.
* Cumin seeds and black sesame seeds are optional, but if used, it adds flavour to your cookies.
For detailed recipe please watch the video.
Do try this recipe and write to me in the comment section how you found this recipe.
** Don’t forget to like, share and subscribe friends !! 😘 Love ya !! 😊😍
Original of the video here