Pull apart the goodness of Christmas Ham, Cheese, Chow Chow and more, in this festive Monkey Bread:
Yield: 10 – 12 Portions
For The Dough:
1 Cup Warm Milk
1 ½ Tbsp Yeast
4 Tbsp Honey
4 Tbsp Softened Butter
500 Grams Bob’s Red Mill Organic Spelt Flour
2 Tsp Baking Powder
1 ½ Tsp Salt
½ Tsp Garlic Powder
½ Cup Ham, Finely Chopped
2 Oz Green Olives, roughly chopped
¾ Cup Cheddar Cheese
4 Tbsp Melted Butter
1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
½ Tsp Salt
½ Cup Cheddar Cheese
1 Tbsp Fresh Parsley, minced
½ Tsp Dried Italian Flakes
1. In a stand mixer, pour in the warm milk followed by the yeast, honey, softened butter and the eggs. Attach the dough hook to the machine, select medium speed and allow wet ingredients to combine for 2 minutes.
2. Meanwhile in a bowl, combine the spelt flour, baking powder, salt, garlic powder, ham, olives and cheddar cheese. Mix to evenly distribute then add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients in three portions while the machine is mixing.
3. Increase machine speed to high while flour is kneading. Let dough develop for and mix for 4 minutes until it comes together.
4. Remove dough from the machine and place in clean bowl. Dough should be slightly sticky but manageable to handle. Cover the dough with a dry tea towel and allow to sit and rise for 45 minutes in warmest part of the kitchen.
5. Meanwhile, lightly grease and flour a 10 inch spring form pan and set aside.
6. For the Flavored Butter, mix the melted butter, garlic and salt and set aside in a small bowl.
7. Mix cheese, fresh parsley and italian flakes together and place on a plate.
8. To make dough pieces, remove the dough from the bowl and punch down to remove the excess carbon dioxide gas. Divide dough into four parts, then further cut each portion into 6 small pieces. This will then yield 24 pieces of dough in total.
9. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
10. With the cusp of your hand, roll each piece of dough tightly into a ball. Dip the dough balls into the flavored butter then roll lightly into the cheddar mix. Place the dough balls into the sprig form pan and arrange in a circular motion. Leave the centre of the pan vacant as a small bowl will be placed in the centre. Pour any remaining flavored butter and cheese on top the bread.
11. Allow dough pieces to rise again for 15 minutes then place into the oven and bake for 25 minutes until cooked and golden brown.
12. Remove pan from oven and detach spring form pan. Place a small ramekin or bowl in the center of the monkey bread and fill with chow chow as a pleasing dipping sauce to enjoy this pull apart monkey bread with.
Pineapple Chow Chow | Yield: 16 – 18 Oz:
3 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
3 Tbsp of Fine Diced Pimento Peppers/Jalapeños
6 Tbsp of Fine Diced Onions
1 Tbsp of Minced Garlic
½ Tsp of Cayenne Powder
Pinch of Nutmeg
¼ Tsp of Cinnamon Powder
2/3 Cup of Pineapple Juice
½ Cup Red Wine Vinegar
1 Cup of Small Diced Pineapple
4 Tbsp of Yellow Mustard
½ Cup of Julienned Purple Onions
1/3 Cup of Fine Diced Carrots
1 Tsp of Salt
½ Tsp Black Pepper
2 Tbsp of Fresh Chopped Parsley
1. Place a medium sauce pan over medium heat, when hot add the vegetable oil.
2. Add the pimentos, onion and garlic. Sweat gentle for one minute.
3. Add all powdered spices accompanied by the pineapple juice, red wine vinegar and chopped pineapple and mustard. Let it reduce for two minutes then add the carrots and purple onions. Continue cooking until it the chow chow reduces by half.
4. Season with salt, black pepper and the freshly chopped parsley. Remove from heat and let cool.
5. Store in a sealed jar or container and refrigerate for up to 2 months.
Christmas Ham How-To: https://youtu.be/qix2PAYsuxc
More How To’s: https://goo.gl/m8EdBY
Kezzianne Miller: @kezzidoeseat
Chef Jason Peru: @chefjasonperu
Subscribe to Foodie Nation: https://goo.gl/wg373X
Connect with Foodie Nation on:
Beach Party – Islandesque by Kevin MacLeod is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/…)
#ChristmasHam #PullApartBread #TriniChristmas
Original of the video here